2|Entertain and the official series site have confirmed two Classic Series DVD releases for March and May.
10th April sees the release of Genesis of the Daleks starring Tom Baker, Lis Sladen and Ian Marter. The story has long been regarded as a classic and marks the first appearance of Davros, creator of the Daleks.
Extras on the set include:
- Commentary with Tom Baker, Elisabeth Sladen, Peter Miles (Nyder) and director David Maloney
- Genesis of a Classic – cast and crew recall working on the story in this specially shot documentary
- The Dalek Tapes – new documentary narrated by Terry Molloy (who plays Davros in other Doctor Who stories), that tells the story of the Doctor’s most iconic villain, including rare footage from programmes such as Blue Peter
- Blue Peter – a March 1975 item looking at a collection of Doctor Who models
- Doctor Who 1976 Annual as a PDF
- Radio Times Billings
29th May sees the release of Inferno, starring Jon Pertwee as the Third Doctor.
The two-disc set includes the following special features.
- Commentary with script editor Terrance Dicks, Barry Letts, Nicholas Courtney (The Brigadier) and John Levene (Sgt. Benton)
- Can You Hear the Earth Scream? – a 35 minute making of documentary, featuring interviews with Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks, actors Caroline John, Nicholas Courtney, John Levene, Ian Fairbairn and actor/stunt arranger Derek Ware
- The UNIT Family (Part One) – a 36 minute documentary looking at the first half of the ‘UNIT family’ that characterised the Third Doctor’s Earth-bound stories. Featuring interviews with Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks, UNIT creator Derrick Sherwin, and actors Nicholas Courtney, John Levene, Caroline John and actor/stunt arranger Derek Ware
- Visual Effects Promo Film – an excerpt from an early attempt to ‘sell’ the experience and facilities of the BBC Visual Effects Department to new clients. Featuring model effects filming from Inferno and The Ambassadors of Death
- The Pertwee Years Intro – a short introduction to the story’s final episode from Jon Pertwee, originally presented as part of BBC Video’s The Pertwee Years VHS release.
- The 1971 Doctor Who Annual as a PDF
- Radio Times billings
- Photo Gallery
- Subtitle Production Notes
In our first competition of 2006 we’re offering one reader the chance
to win a copy of the Tom Baker classic, ‘Horror of Fang Rock’. Full details.