ITV has announced the purchase of Mammoth Screen, the independent production house responsible for making Inspector Morse prequel Endeavour and Poldark.
The broadcaster has been busy buying up UK and Us producers over the past couple of years and now owns a rich catalogue of shows and formats which it can monetise.
Growing its content division also allows ITV to more easily cope with downturns and fluctuations in advertising revenue.
ITV has owned 25% of Mammoth Screen since it was founded in 2007 and today announced the acquisition of the remaining 75% of the company.
As part of the original dea, ITV’s distribution business is the exclusive distributor of Mammoth’s shows, including Poldark which it has sold to broadcasters in Australia, New Zealand, Sweden and Canada, and Endeavour which has aired in over 180 countries.
Mammoth founder Damien Timmer, formerly Head of Drama for ITV Productions, will lead the business as Managing Director.
Julian Bellamy, Managing Director ITV Studios UK, said: “Damien and the team are one of the most impressive and sought after drama producers in Britain.
“From Endeavour to Poldark, they’ve an uncanny knack of developing hit after hit and we’re delighted they’re joining the ITV Studios family.”
Timmer added: “This move will allow Mammoth to make even more ambitious drama, working with the best creative talent in the business.
“We have a long history with ITV Studios, and with its support and backing we’ll be able to make television for a wide range of partners both at home and abroad, whilst remaining a very British television company.”