John Schlesinger’s Yanks, in which Richard Gere plays a World War II GI who falls in love with Vanessa Redgrave’s wealthy socialite is coming to Blu-ray & DVD next month courtesy of Eureka Entertainment.
Available as a Dual Format release as of the Eureka Classics range, director John Schlesinger’s World War II epic is described as “a war film without battle scenes,” which instead focuses on relationships far from the front, examining the romantic entanglements between the stationed U.S. soldiers and the locals in a small town in Northern England in the 1944 period before the Normandy landings.
Three very different women find themselves attracted to the American G.I.s at a new military base in town. Gere is Sgt. Matt Dyson, initiating a tentative courtship with a young woman still pining for her fiancée overseas.
Redgrave is wealthy socialite Helen, engaged in an affair with a captain (William Devane), while both of them long for their respective spouses far from home.
And Sergeant Ruffelo’s fling with Mollie (Wendy Morgan) occurs just as the interactions between the Yanks and their British hosts begin to strain under the tension of the war, and uncertainty about what happens to their new romances.
• 1080p presentation (on Blu-ray) from a new high-definition transfer
• Original LPCM mono audio (on Blu-ray)
• Optional English SDH subtitles
• Archival Interview with director John Schlesinger
• Original theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, alongside rare archival imagery