BBC DVD have announced the DVD release of the final story of the classic Doctor Who series – Survival.
This 40th Classic Doctor Who DVD release is available to buy on DVD from 3rd April, priced �19.99. Starring Sylvester McCoy as the seventh Doctor, Sophie Aldred as his companion Ace, and Anthony Ainley as The Master, the story also stars Emmerdale’s Adele Silva in her first TV role, as well as a cameo appearance by comedy duo Hale and Pace.
Survival is the final ever story in the original Doctor Who series that ran each year from 1963 � 1989. The one-off TV movie of 1996 starring Paul McGann was the only story between Survival and the start of the new series that commenced in 2005.
The Doctor takes Ace to present day Perivale so that she can visit old friends. However most of them have been transported by cat-like Kitlings to the planet of Cheetah People, a race with the power to teleport through space. Ace is transported and joins up with two of her friends, Midge, Shreela and a boy named Derek.
The Doctor follows and encounters the Master, who has drawn him into a trap to try and gain his help. This planet gradually transforms its inhabitants into Cheetah People – an influence to which the Master himself has fallen victim – while they in turn, through the savagery of their actions, cause the planet to move ever closer to total destruction.
This two disc release features:
- Main Commentary – stereo. With Sylvester McCoy (The Doctor), Sophie Aldred (Ace) and script-editor Andrew Cartmel.
- 3 x 25 mins colour episodes with default original stereo audio or optional Dolby Digital 5.1 remix.
- Second Commentary (episode three only) – stereo. Fan commentary from the winners of a recent Doctor Who Magazine competition.
- Cat Flap – a two-part documentary covering the making of ‘Survival’. Part One covers set-up and pre-production, Part Two covers shooting and post-production. With actors Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Lisa Bowerman, Will Barton, Sakuntala Ramanee and Adele Silva, script editor Andrew Cartmel, director Alan Wareing, visual effects assistant Mike Tucker, composer Dominic Glynn and costume designer Ken Trew. Narrated by Paul Ewing
- Deleted and Extended Scenes – material from the first edit of the story that didn’t make the final cut, plus comparisons of some of the scenes before and after the video effects were added.
- Out-takes – out-takes and comedy moments from the production of the story.
- Continuities – continuities and trailers from the original BBC1 transmission.
- Photo Gallery – production and behind-the-scenes stills from the making of the story.
- Isolated Score – option to view the story with synchronous isolated music.
- Radio Times Listings – in Adobe pdf format for viewing on PC or Mac.
- Programme Subtitles
- Subtitle Production Notes
- Endgame – Why was Doctor Who cancelled at the end of Season 26? What might have been in store for the Doctor and Ace if the series had continued into Season 27? With actors Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred, script editor Andrew Cartmel, writers Ben Aaronovitch and Colin Brake, BBC Head of Drama Series Peter Cregeen, composer Mark Ayres and visual effects designer Mike Tucker. Narrated by Paul Ewing.
- Search Out Science – a schools programme featuring the Doctor and Ace, with Stephen Johnson and K9.
- Little Girl Lost – A retrospective look at the development of Sophie Aldred’s character, Ace, from her first story, ‘Dragonfire’ through to her last, ‘Survival’. With Sophie Aldred, creator Ian Briggs and script editor Andrew Cartmel.
- Destiny of the Doctors – Anthony Ainley’s last appearance as The Master, in these links from the 1997 computer game.