Three Ages, Buster Keaton’s first foray into making feature films, is coming to Blu-ray for the first time in the UK to mark its 100th Anniversary.
Released by Eureka Entertainment as part of The Masters of Cinema Series, the film is being presented from a restoration completed in 2022 by the Cohen Film Collection and will be available from August 21st.
Pre-order from Amazon.co.uk*
*Affiliate Link. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The first feature that Keaton wrote, directed, and starred in, Three Ages spoofs D.W. Griffith’s historical epic Intolerance. Like that film, Three Ages follows multiple narratives across different historical eras, which Keaton packs to the brim with incredible stunts and hilarious visual gags.
Across three eras – the Stone Age, Ancient Rome, and “modern times” – Keaton competes for the love of a woman (Margaret Leahy) whilst having to defend himself from a nasty bully (Wallace Beery).
- Reconstructed original intertitles
- Brand new audio commentary by film historian and writer David Kalat
- This Side of Impossible – brand new video essay by David Cairns
- Under the Flat Hat – brand new video essay by Fiona Watson
- The Six Ages of Comedy – brand new featurette based on an essay by Keaton
- Brand new interview with Ian Lavender
- Man’s Genesis – 1912 short by D.W. Griffith that is parodied in Three Ages
- Video essay on the film’s locations by John Bengtson
- Archival recordings of Keaton
- PLUS: A collectors booklet featuring new writing by Philip Kemp and Imogen Sara Smith