Eureka Entertainment is bringing Hideo Gosha’s spaghetti western-inspired samurai adventures Samurai Wolf and Samurai Wolf II to Blu-ray for the first time ever in the UK on January 22nd.
Pre-order from Amazon.co.uk*
*Affiliate Link. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 2-Disc set will be available as part of The Masters of Cinema Series and the first print run of 2000 copies will feature a Limited-Edition O-card Slipcase.
Out of a desire to make what he felt was a truly no-holds-barred sword-fighting film, Gosha took inspiration from the samurai films of Akira Kurosawa and the spaghetti Western sub-genre they’d inspired.
Working with a low budget to free himself from the restrictive oversight of his producers, the result was Samurai Wolf and Samurai Wolf II which tell the story of a charismatic ronin named Kiba (played by Isao Natsuyagi).
In the first film, Kiba wanders into a small town and ends up ensnared in a local conflict that’s more than meets the eye. In Samurai Wolf II, he gets mixed up in a web of intrigue involving a goldmine owner, a swordsman and a dojo master.
- Presented in 1080p HD from restorations of the original film elements
- Uncompressed original Japanese Mono audio
- Optional English subtitles
- Audio commentary on Samurai Wolf by film historian and writer Chris Poggiali
- Hideo Gosha featurette with Tomoe Gosha
- Reversible sleeve featuring original poster artwork
- A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes