Timely new research conducted by streaming service NOW TV has revealed that the UK’s favourite on-screen Santa is Richard Attenborough’s portrayal in the Christmas classic, Miracle on 34th Street.
The 1994 movie, a remake of the 1947 original, sees Attenborough play Kris Kringle who, at short notice, replaces the usual store Santa at Cole’s Department Store only to later find himself in court seeking to prove that he’s not just any old Santa but, in fact, the original and one true Santa.
Attenborough was named the best on-screen Santa by 43% of those polled by Onepoll, and the film won a further accolade with four in ten naming it as the first Christmas film they remember watching.
Trailing behind the veteran actor are Tom Hanks (27%), Tim Allen in The Santa Clause (22%), Edward Asner in Elf (20%) and David Huddleston in Santa Claus: The Movie (19%).
The top 10 favourite movie Santas in full:
- Richard Attenborough – Miracle on 34th Street (1994) (43%)
- Tom Hanks (motion capture) – Polar Express (27%)
- Tim Allen – The Santa Clause (22%)
- Edward Asner – Elf (20%)
- David Huddleston – Santa Claus: The Movie (19%)
- Ken Hudson Campbell – Home Alone (17%)
- Jim Broadbent – Arthur Christmas (15%)
- Billy Bob Thornton – Bad Santa (14%)
- Edward Ivory – The Nightmare Before Christmas (10%)
- Jim Belushi – Jingle All the Way (9%)
If you’re looking to extend your TV options this year or are looking for last minute gift ideas, we recently reviewed NOW TV’s Smart Box with 4K & Voice Search and reckon it could be just the thing to spruce up Christmas TV.