The Son of the Sheik, Rudolph Valentino’s final movie, is getting its first UK Blu-ray release next February courtesy of Eureka Entertainment.
One of the most popular films from the silent era, Valentino gives perhaps the finest performance of his career under the guidance of director George Fitzmaurice.
In this visually intoxicating sequel to Valentino’s career-defining film The Sheik, the silent screen’s greatest lover portrays a cultured yet untamed young man who is lured into a thieves’ trap by a beautiful dancer, Yasmin (Vilma Banky).
After escaping, he kidnaps the damsel and holds her captive in his desert lair, dressing her in Arabian finery and threatening to unleash his violent passion upon her.
Exotic romance saturates every frame of this Orientalist epic; its sadomasochistic fantasies are acted out against the lavish set design of William Cameron Menzies (The Thief of Bagdad) and lushly photographed by George Barnes (Sadie Thompson).
The film would turn out to be Valentino’s last as he died suddenly at the age of 31, just days before its release.
- A Film by Award Winning (& star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame) Director George Fitzmaurice (The Locked Door, The Devil To Pay!)
- Stars Hollywood’s original ‘Latin Lover’ Rudolph Valentino (The Eagle, The Sheik, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse)
- Also stars Montagu Love (The Adventures Of Robin Hood, Gunga Din)
- From a new restoration available for the first time on home video
- Featuring a magnificent score by maestro Carl Davis